Chlorine has always been the dominant swimming pool oxidizer and sanitizer, and it is the number one option for shocking swimming pools. But, what some pool owners might not know is that it is not the only option as there is also an option to use non-chlorine shock.
The non-chlorine shock provides an easy way to make your pool sparkle and comes in handy when you want to give the pool water some deep cleansing without dealing with the harshness of chlorine.
However, to get the best outcomes from non-shock chlorine, you must understand when and how to use it.
What is Non-Chlorine Shock?
Non-chlorine shock is potassium monopersulfate (MPS), a powerful and odorless oxidizing agent used as a chlorine alternative for shocking pool water.
This oxidizing agent makes pool sanitizers more effective at killing algae, removing bacteria, and it helps break down the chloramines that accumulate in the pool water over time.
Non-chlorine shock typically comes in a powder form, and it is a more effective oxidation agent than most forms of chlorine. However, it is not a sanitizer, but it will work with most types well and not replace them.
This shock will typically come in 1 or 2-pound packs and is the best choice for use in chlorine-free pools. Leslie’s Fresh ‘N Clear Oxidizing Spa Shock is an example of an excellent non-chlorine shock that will do a fantastic job for your pool.
Benefits of Non-Chlorine Shock
1. Improves Pool Sanitizer Efficiency
While non-chlorine shock does not have sanitizing properties, it is still handy at improving the efficiency of chlorine or any other sanitizer you use on your pool.
Adding this shock to your pool frees up more sanitizer, making it highly effective at killing bacteria and other contaminants.
2. Breaks Down Chloramines
Chloramines are one of those things you have to deal with at some point as long as you use chlorine on your pools as they keep accumulating.
Non-chlorine shock makes it easier to deal with chloramines as it breaks them down, leaving the water free of the strong chlorine smell characteristic of these compounds.
3. Helps Remove oils from Pool Water
Non-chlorine shock is a highly effective oxidizer. This compound will oxidize oils, deodorants, lotions, sweat, and detergents from the pool.
Hence despite not being a sanitizer, it contributes significantly to cleaning the pool as oxidizing these substances eliminates the likelihood of staining and reduces foaming.
What’s more, oxidizing oils and other contaminants minimizes over-reliance on harsh pool chemicals like chlorine.
4. Enhances Water Clarity
If you are struggling with cloudy/milky pool water, non-chlorine shock can help improve the water clarity.
Provided other things like pool pH and alkalinity are okay, non-chlorine shock will oxidize any substances causing the water to appear cloudy or milky.
When Shouldn’t You Use Non-Chlorine Shock?
Non-chlorine shocks have more advantages than shortcomings, but there are some situations where they will not do your pool much good. For example, you should not use it when the primary purpose of adding shock to your pool is to sanitize and kill germs.
Additionally, non-chlorine shock will have a pH level of around 2.3, and so if you use it on your pools, you can easily lower the pH levels to dangerous levels. Remember, a pool pH should never exceed 7.6.
Lastly, you should not use non-chlorine shock if you do not want to change the pool water’s total alkalinity. Using a lot of this shock can easily lead to unhealthy alkalinity levels.
How to Use Non-Chlorine Shock?’
As good as non-chlorine shock might be for your pool, it is vital to make sure you use it correctly for the best results. Here are a few key steps you need to follow when applying this shock.
Step 1: Wear Protective Gear
Like with all other pool chemicals, the firsts step when handling non-chlorine shock should be to wear protective clothing. Proper attire is crucial to ensure the chemical does not contact your skin, while gloves and goggles will help protect your hands and eyes, respectively.
Step 2: Measure the Shock You Need
It is vital to make sure you do not add too much or too little shock. Here the right amount depends on your pool size. Ideally, you need around a pound of shock for every 10,000 gallons of water.
Step 3: Dissolve Powder in Water
Some pool owners prefer to pour the powder shock directly into the pool or skimmer. While this can still work, it is always better to dissolve it in a bucket of water before pouring it into the pool.
Step 4: Pour Around the Pool’s Perimeter
Once the powder dissolves, you should then pour it into the pool. Here it is better to pour around the pool’s perimeter for fast and even distribution. After this, you only need to wait 15 to 30 minutes, and the pool should be good to use again.
The non-chlorine shock provides an excellent alternative to chlorine. Although it does not sanitize like chlorine, it is still effective at shocking the pool thanks to its oxidizing properties. These properties also ensure the water is always left clearer than before.
However, before you opt for this shock option, you need to know exactly how it reacts with your water and make sure you watch out for things like total alkalinity and pH when using it.